Monday, 23 September 2013

Life with wheels..

I haven't blogged recently, I haven't really felt I've had much to share. Things have sort of been spiraling downwards for Miss M.E. (11) and it's often hard to talk about. 

In the weekend, however, there was an occurrence that made my blood boil. (Gotta love an infuriated mother blogger, right?).  I'm sure many of you who struggle with mobility will have had a similar thing happen......  Miss M.E. (11) had mustered all her energy and decided that she would try to go out of the house, for the first time in weeks, to one of her favourite shops in her 'prior-M.E' life. I loaded up her wheelchair, and we headed to the mall where her favourite teenage clothing shop was. The seasons and fashions had changed since she was last there, and there was lots of new stock. But do you think she could fit her wheelchair down the aisles without hooking clothing off the racks accidentally? Not a chance. The items were all mounted the whole height of the walls, and predominantly inaccessible. Each aisle would require backing out of as we would hit a stand loaded with clothing jutting out across the paths. People were everywhere, but no one offering to help - poor Miss M.E. (11) was awfully embarrassed.... I showed her a pretty top and suggested she tried it on before we left, so that at least she had found something - but after waiting for a long time in the queue for the changing rooms, it turned out there was someone (able-bodied) in the disabled changing room.... she had to reverse her wheelchair out of the queue and line herself up to the side to wait... It all became too much, she was absolutely shattered and begged for us to leave. We left empty handed and thoroughly discouraged.

I stopped off at one of the cafes in the mall and asked if they did anything dairy and gluten-free... nope, she couldn't even eat. Finally made it outside where I was able to buy her some caramelized nuts for her efforts, which she had gratefully. She arrived home aching and in pain, her legs throbbing from being in the wheelchair, and collapsed into bed exhausted.


I imagine it will be a very long time before she ventures out to the shops again.....

If she is well enough in the future, perhaps I will encourage her to write a letter to the store....


3 comments:

  1. Doesn't that PISS YOU OFF?!!? Being wheelchair bound on and off for the last 36 years I can definitely identify with your little Angel. The places here in the US are geared the same way, even WITH the "Americans With Disabilities Act"....which is virtually worthless. Poor little thing. Like my Mama says, "2 tears in a bucket, Mother F-It!" LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yes, things here are supposed to all be wheelchair-friendly, but the reality is very different! Frustrating... we will try to revert to short bursts without the wheelchair in future where possible, it's just too demoralizing!! People full-time in wheelchairs must have a very hard time of it. Woosh, 36 years with these illnesses is a VERY long haul :(. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that annoys me! Being on sticks I am always offered the disabled changing rooms, but I never use them because so long as there is a chair or a bench or somewhere I can sit in the able bodied changing room I am fine as a daisy so I don't see the point in using up the one and only disabled changing room when I am able to use the normal changing rooms. I find everywhere has to have steps all over the place and I stumble and fall all over the place. And as for there not being any dairy free I sooo know where you are coming from on that one too. My Little1 was lactose free for a long time and it is so hard to find it. Poor baby, it was one thing after another for her.

    ReplyDelete